Amazon Bestseller Rank
#21 in Books > Management Skills > Creativity.
Amazon Bestseller Rank
#37 in Books > Human Resources Management.
Amazon Bestseller Rank
#69 in Books > Business, Finance & Law > Strategy
Building the Agile Business through Digital Transformation
We live in exponential times. A time of accelerating change. A time when disruption is everywhere, when transformational technologies are increasingly embedded in cultural norms, when your next major competitor won’t be the lumbering corporate that you market-share against, but a small, agile start-up that you’ve never heard of.
The emphasis has permanently shifted. Advantage is now derived less from leveraging scale and market-share, and more from agility, collaboration, openness, and data-driven decision-making.
A new breed of ‘digitally-native’ organisation, companies that have grown up free of the shackles of legacy thinking and been born of a world of empowered customers and rapid technological development, are challenging long-standing but fundamental assumptions of how companies should be structured, organised and run.
In the face of the huge impact of digital technologies, just about every company in every sector is seeking to transform to become fit for purpose for a very different, networked world. Yet digital transformation is not a process that has a beginning, a middle and an end. It is a transition to a state of continual change, agility and flux. It is a progression to a new type of organisation.
What industry leaders say about the book
- “A fantastic guide to conquering the challenges of continuous and accelerating change in today’s digital world. Neil and Peter are masters of agile business transformation, and they’ve bottled their experience and wisdom into a highly actionable book. A must-read for modern leadership.”
Scott Brinker, Respected entrepreneurial executive Co-founder & CTO of ion interactive; Editor of chiefmartec.com
- “Clear, thoughtful and packed with real practical advice. This is the definitive “How To” guide for an organisation going though Digital Transformation”
Marco Ryan, Chief Digital Officer & Exec Vice President
- “Neil and Peter are one of the best choices to help anyone respond to the challenges of digital transformation – and their book is a veritable goldmine as they share dozens of bottom lines and powerful stories with the reader. Read this book to not just innovate but to transform your business!”
- Gerd Leonhard, Respected top-rated futurist, Author, Keynote Speaker, and CEO The Futures Agency
- “Reads like a field guide for digital transformation. Full of actionable insights, frameworks and practical advice for any organisation preparing for a digital-empowered world.”
Ben Malbon, Senior Director, Google
- “Whatever your business, the prospect of staying ahead of digital transformation is daunting, Neil and Peter have created an outstandingly researched guide that anyone can implement to lead their own transformation”, “Finally, a definitive manual for any business to ready themselves to handle digital transformation.”
Bruce Daisley, VP, EMEA, Twitter
- “Agile’” and ‘transformation’ aren’t just pretty words to say. It’s the new way of operating business, and you can’t afford to be left behind. You couldn’t ask for a better expert guide on the journey than Neil Perkin.”
Scott Brinker, VP Platform Ecosystem, Hubspot, Author Hacking Marketing
- “Packed full of insights, actionable ideas and other people’s experiences, a toolkit to build on no matter where you sit in an organisation or the stage of change you’re at.”
Sean Cornwell, Chief Digital Officer
- “I think this is an important book. A lot has been written about various aspects of ‘agile’ but nowhere else have I seen the thinking and practice brought to light so intelligently and comprehensively as here.”
Ashley Friedlein, Founder, Econsultancy
- “Peter Abraham and Neil Perkin take us on a world tour of digital transformation.
This book is a necessity for executives, senior leaders and change agents. It is a well-rounded; well-referenced account with really interesting stories from the very best organizations, bringing digital transformation to life.
I was always curious how these organizations worked, weren’t you? A must-read.”
John Coleman, Agility Change Chef
- “The definitive guide for every executive and intrapeneur looking to navigate the exponential changes that every company must deal with or succumb to. It’s the handbook you need to help you create company you always wished you worked at.”
Faris Yakob, Award winning strategist, creative, public speaker
- “Disruption is all about mindset. Dealing with uncertainty is a challenge leaders need to integrate into their modus operandi. Building the Agile Business through Digital Transformation will help you unlock a treasure.”
Arjen van Berkum, Chief Disruption Officer and Entrepreneur
- “An essential and comprehensive guide for those leading digital transformation in their business or wanting to truly understand the impact of digital on modern leadership practice.”
Louise Howells, Global Head of Leadership Development, TUI
- “Pragmatic, yet ruthlessly visionary, this fast-paced book is a wide-ranging and generously-referenced handbook. Ideal both as a c-suite primer and as a ready-reference for practitioners, this is a triumph of distillation by two of our sector’s pioneers.”
Ian Jindal, Leadership & Transformation in Multichannel Retail & Ecommerce
Video intro and chapter headings
There are plenty of books that talk about the ‘why’ of digital transformation,
but very few that set out the ‘how’.
We believe companies require a new level of agility that can only come from combining three critical factors, expressed in this formula:
AGILITY = (VELOCITY x FOCUS x FLEXIBILITY)
According to Clay Christensen organizational capability is comprised of three key elements: Resources, Priorities, Processes & culture. These components are mutually exclusive but are also collectively exhaustive.
We believe that behaviours and culture underpins all change, but our formula builds on this idea:
in strategy, priorities and execution. Speed alone is not enough; we need to bring focus to velocity in order to create momentum
in processes, innovation, learning, reinvention
in resourcing, structures, people and culture. Momentum for change cannot happen without the environment and means to enable it.
The book is split into 5 parts and is written in such a way that you can jump in to any part that’s applicable to you at that moment in time, you don’t need to read from the beginning to the end.
The digital-native organization
- The key forces for change
- How digital disrupts
- What’s stopping you?
- Defining digital transformation
Velocity – Defining velocity
- Operating in the ‘ambiguity zone’
- Digital-native processes
- The agile innovation process
Focus – Defining focus
- The role of vision and purpose
- Agile strategy and planning
- Linking strategy to execution
Flexibility – Defining flexibility
- Agile structures and resourcing
- Scaling agility
- Building the culture to move fast
- A blueprint for flexibility
- Digital-native talent
The transformation journey
The five dimensions of change – The 5 P’s
- Dimension one: Personal
- Dimension two: Principles
- Dimension three: Process
- Dimension four: Practice
- Dimension five: Pace
What you’ll get
from the book
A roadmap for creating the agile organisation, and practical concepts, models and tools to use in leading digital transformation in your company
Actionable insights from some of the most experienced digital transformation practitioners
Building the Agile Organisation Through Digital Transformation
defines a roadmap for digital transformation for organizations, explaining not only what it is and why it is necessary, but setting out the key principles, strategies and tools that leaders can use to create lasting change.
Neil is a renowned blogger and the founder of Only Dead Fish, a digital and media consultancy that specialises in applying strategic understanding of digital and emerging media technologies to help businesses innovate, become more agile, and optimise their effectiveness within the new, networked communications environment.
Neil is also a regular keynote speaker across Europe on organisational agility, emerging media, and digital strategy. He has been named by BIMA (British Interactive Media Association) as one of the most influential people in the UK digital industry.
Neil curates the quarterly series of Firestarters thought leadership events on behalf of Google UK, and is a keynote speaker on the Google Squared programme. He has worked with market-leading global businesses including Warner Bros, The Daily Telegraph, Samsung, FT, YouTube, and Marks And Spencer, and is an associate of The Futures Agency, a collaboration of some of the world’s leading media thinkers and futurists.
Peter Abraham is a digital practitioner, strategist, advisor and speaker with over 15 years experience in the creative industry and 20 years experience in digital, helping companies define their digital strategy and approach to transformation in order to build agile businesses with competitive advantage. Through his work with clients undergoing digital transformation he developed a passion for organisational culture and behaviour, being able to identify the behaviours that affect individual and team performance and mis-alignment which causes friction within a business.
Previously Exec VP at Econsultancy.com where he helped take it from startup to exit, working globally with large multi-nationals helping them better understand disruption and navigate digital transformation
Peter is also co-Founder of weareCrank which uses data and analytics insight to inform business strategy and accelerated growth, making life easier for marketers, brand managers and ecommerce professionals. @peterjabraham